Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Buying the Cow


So yesterday I bought a cow...and a sheep and a goat. I got a catalog from World Vision where you can buy animals for Africa and South America. So I started like "Oh, maybe I'll buy some chickens." Then chickens became a sheep which became an alpaca and before I knew it, I had just purchased the "Dairy collection". I have to say, I am so excited about it. I was tempted to get everybody I knew ducks for Christmas. I still may.

But the whole experience did bring back some bad memories from high school when we planned a donation drive for the Heifer Project and all anybody did was complain. I remember being so discouraged about all the excuses were people coming up with not to give. And if you don't want to give, that's one thing, but people were actually working against it. I had to take down some signs because people had written "Killing animals is wrong" and stuff like that on them. And the budding protesters must have been a special breed of moron because we were trying to buy a dairy cow. You don't kill a dairy cow. Or my favorite excuse was "There are poor people in this country, why are sending money to another?" I remember answering, "Okay, well, what are you doing to help people in this country?" "Uh, nothing." Thank you, you little high school ass hole. Man, it's weird how that makes me mad after all this time. Maybe it's because that wasn't the last time I came up against that kind of attitude.

Anyway, I'm so happy about my animals. I hope I get to find out where they are being sent. Check out the catalog. They send out a card with info about the donation so they can make great gifts.
http://donate.worldvision.org/OA_HTML/xxwv2ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10389

No comments: