Friday, October 9, 2009

My Church Got the Boot

I would have thought I would be blogging today about the major event in American history that went down last night - the wedding of Pam and Jim on The Office, but something else came up. I got an email from my pastor this morning that after this Sunday, my church will be without a home. I go to National Community Church which, among other locations, takes place at the movie theaters at Union Station. They just received word that the theaters are closing and this Sunday will be the last time we will be allowed to hold services there.

I was so shocked reading the email, it took me a minute to get a grip. But more surprising than the news was my reaction. I've been attending for three years and there's so much I'll miss about it. Running into my Kenya friends on Sunday mornings ("went to Kenya with" friends, not "of Kenyan descent" friends). My two and three-year olds in my Sunday School class who learn all too quickly that answer "Jesus" will probably be right 50% of the time. Even the slanted floors that make it impossible to not have crayons roll off the table. But I think above all this, my reaction was because one of the DC-goodbyes I've been dreading has been moved up two months. I'm not ready to leave DC!!!! Even writing out that I'm leaving in two months sends chills down my spine. I am in such denial. Two months!?!? I've lived here six years and I'm leaving in two months!!! I'm not really sure what the point of all this is other than I am starting to freak out! I'm not ready to leave my church. I'm not ready to leave my friends. I don't think I'm even ready to leave my job. That is sad. But like will all things I think you just need to leap and worry later. Those two months will pass with or without my freaking and strangely there's some comfort to that. New chapter, here I come.

I am still sad about NCC though. But Pastor Mark's email did a great job of reminding me that everything comes together for His glory. The church is the people not the building and they can't shut us down. Maybe someone else will take over the theaters and they won't let the floors get so sticky. See? An upside!

Right now I'm just picturing our congregation walking away from the theaters singing "Onward Christian Soldiers" like the last episode of Little House on the Prairie. That thought makes me feel better.


No comments: